Sage was founded in 1981 and it was basically developed as Accounting Software for small and mid-sized organization. The key modules developed by Sage are Healthcare, Payroll and HR, Payment Processing for industries such as Construction and Real Estate, Distribution and Transportation, Accountancy, Manufacturing, Automotive Distribution and Retail.
Initially Sage was built on Windows based Basic programming language called Providex and the software initially faced the problems of overloading. Sage MAS 90 were designed to operate on Windows operating processes (Windows 2000, Windows 2003). These features of the software allow it to be used by windows users and it also helps in providing support to Novell. The latest version of the software has been modified to provide e-commerce solution. Some of the common versions of the software are Sage MAS 90, MAS 200 SQL, MAS 200, MAS 90 small business. Let's look at the major features of this business application in Sage ERP review.
Sage MAS 90 could run as standalone application but the product suffered from overloading when the number of users exceeded 15.
MAS 200 is based on client server technology and it can run on Windows NT, 2000, 2003.The software support multi user functionalities and it is very easy to set up.
Sage is integrated to SQL database in Sage MAS 200 SQL. MAS 200 is based on client server technology and it provides fast solution. For small organization Sage MAS 90 was released where only two concurrent users can work.
Sage Pro ERP is designed to provide accounting software to mid sized and small companies, and the modules includes financials, purchase, payroll, sales and receivables, inventory and administration.
Sage has a range of accounting and CRM packages designed for various markets.
Sage Accpac Extended Enterprise Suite provides both accounting software and CRM together.
Sage ERP X3 is the latest version which provides the ecommerce features and X3 can work on a number of technologies and there are many new features integrated to the software.
Sage ERP targets small industries where the number of users are 25 and mid-sized industries where the number of employees is 500. The newest version of the software supports multi user and multi location features.
Features of Sage
1. It offers service to many sectors and it can provide solution in many different areas such as warehousing, e-commerce and shipping.
2. The software supports extensive network of VARS (Value Added Resellers) that must be part of review processes.
3. It offers simple enterprise resource planning system which can provide great efficiency and user interface of Sage is designed in easy-to-use format.
4. The software supports decentralized organization built at different locations.
5. It can be easily configured to organizations of various dimensions.
6. It is famous to provide unlimited customization in its standard products and one can even get the source code of the software which allows personalized control on the software.
Disadvantage of Sage
1. It is not recommended for large organizations having distributed business model.
2. The cost can become more if the functionalities are very complex and new.
3. Even the maintenance expenses are high.
This Sage ERP review has covered all the major features, advantages and disadvantages of using this software.