SAP Knowledge Warehouse is a product of SAP AG designed to provide knowledge management, training material or help books to the users. It is the component where knowledge is designed and stored. SAP knowledge warehouse is used to store the documents related to the transactions, and information related to delivery of these documents to the users. The knowledge warehouse is also called a data repository where the data is organized, disseminated and processed.
Knowledge refers to the ability to use the data to generate information and to convert data into information. The data should be used properly according to the business rules, decision support system, directories to generate information across a variety of applications. Knowledge Warehouse can be used in many different environments and systems.
In SAP knowledge warehouse the user interacts with the system through a user interface which allows the user to customize elements of the database which includes adding audio files, video files, presentations etc. SAP provides packages version where the user can easily develop, exchange, translate and transfers the data.
SAP KW requires mainly two components for working – the authorization of the authors and a windows 2000 based system, in which the content is made available through the IIS server. For localized services, the system may need additional servers which can be controlled by SAP. A Cache Sever may be needed to take the inquiries from the various units of an organization and store the data temporarily between the final transactions.
The knowledge can reach the users by three ways
1. Through a web server which provides the complete list of documents.
2. Through context sensitive help which can come from other applications.
3. By creating a standalone windows based system which contains help files to provide documents to the users.
It comes with the authoring features where the documentation is approved by the authorities and it also has the check-in and check-out facility which ensures the security of the documents.
There are many benefits of SAP KW
1. For every transaction SAP knowledge warehouse provides official documentation. Companies can modify only the documents which have been permitted to be customized and users can access the documents for any transaction.
2. The users can select specific transaction descriptor depending on the need of the customers.
3. The system allows easy view of documents, manuals, training material, handbooks to know more about the transactions and the company etc.
4. It provides the complete list of documentation related to every transaction of the organization done through the software and the organization can customize these documents according to their needs.
5. SAP knowledge warehouse enables organizations to keep a record of transactions in the form of documents which can be used for reference in future and it also helps in maintaining a standard.
6. The information stored in KW can be directly accessed by the user without prior knowledge of the system which allows easy operations. It even provides in-depth information.
7. SAP knowledge warehouse allows the organization to maintain a history of records of all the transactions.