SAP manufacturing functions provide an integrated solution where the complex manufacturing operations can be resolved to provide cost effective solution to an organization. SAP Manufacturing contains functions such as planning, executing, quality, maintenance, environment, health and safety.
Planning - The module is used to plan and to schedule production to be able to produce and deliver orders on time.
Manufacturing Execution - SAP manufacturing execution was acquired from Visiprise and it allows the organization to manage and control manufacturing processes, and to integrate various functions of the enterprise. It enables the products to be built properly to allow collecting data from various sources and easy integration of data can be taken from the shop floor activities.
The module can be used to manage product records, product yields, and quality of products, and to manage the WIP scenarios which include order spills, merges, and configuration changes.
Quality Management - The modules of quality management are used to see if the products are designed properly or not. In the quality management components, the material management modules keep a record about the materials, vendors and manufactures. It evaluates the quality of the products to get quality scores and to send problems notifications. The quality certificates are designed and the goods receipt and delivery is done in this module.
The module triggers inspections and blocks payment if the inspection is not done.
The production functions include planning and scheduling. The module handles inspection and assures quality of partial lot of orders.
It manages the production by sending quality notification and by processing corrective tasks.
It also integrates the sales and distribution modules where it manages the customer related quality information and triggers inspection, in case of any discrepancies in shipping.
- The module is used to plan and to schedule maintenance.
Environment, health and safety management - It is used to see if the products designed are safe or dangerous for the buyer. The level of emissions, industrial hygiene, health and safety of the workers is examined under health and safety management.
1. It increases coordination of business partners and suppliers to improve performance.
2. It improves visibility which helps in detecting, resolving exceptions and improving performance at low cost. The system provides the users with the clarity to see the way transaction is taking place across the enterprise and real time manufacturing data can be accurately tracked and used to manage work in progress to ensure right products are produced on time.
3. It helps in improving execution by analyzing the defects and missed deadlines.
4. It enables the organizations to plan, schedule and monitor processes.
5. It improves cooperation with business partners.
6. It detects errors and checks the performance.
7. All the processes including the executions and analysis can be done under single environment.
8. It helps in gaining control and reduces expense.
9. Performance of a production unit can be optimized which may increase the profitability of the organization. The process can be used to improve the quality of manufactured products and to design preventive measures to reduce defects in products.